Monday, April 5, 2010

Davy Crockett

Posted by Alex

One of my favorite American heroes is Davy Crockett. I have liked him ever since I watched the movie a couple of years back. Last year I went to the Alamo three times, and my family will go there soon again. I also have a model of the Alamo and I will post pictures as I build it.


Davy Crockett was born in Tennessee 1786. Tennessee became a state in 1796, witch means he was 10 when Tennessee became a state. His family moved many times when he was a young boy, but they stayed close the east side of Tennessee. He had to end school when he was nine years old to go on a trip, and he returned back home when he was 15. He named his rifle Betsy and he cooked his food over fire.

Crockett claimed that he fought a bear when he was two years old. By the time he was thirteen he was already a skilled hunter, and he also loved to tell tall tales about himself. He was so popular that he got a seat in the Tennessee legislature. In 1828 he became a senator of the Congress but he lost his seat in 1835 because he spoke against President Jackson and lost his seat.



He left for Texas in 1835 to make a fortune but he got involved in the Texas Independence and the Alamo.

Stay tuned for more information about what happened to Davy Crockett at the Alamo.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails